Have you seen this video for the “Shittiest Mixtape Boombox Blast”, featuring Aziz Ansari? I believe the guy at 1.13 represents my feelings to a T.
Now you know there needs to be an Indi-pop version. So I can get my revenge on the blood-curdling howls tracks that rendered my childhood hideous, if nothing else. Here’re my top contenders. Feel free to add your own!
1) Sawan mein lag gayi aag – Long before Rakhi Sawant cast him as the Dr. No to Bollywood’s Item Girls, I knew Mika Singh was all sorts of wrong. Forget him, I wouldn’t want to bump into his “music” on lonely road some night.
2) You are my chicken fry – It’s Bappi Lahiri crooning love notes to his dinner. And what an extensive menu it is. I couldn’t find the original video but it probably can’t match up to this mix anyway.
3) Yaad piya ki aane lagi – Falguni Pathak. Queen of Disco Dandiya. Remember when that was a ‘thing’? The most amazingly butch singer of the most amazingly girly songs. Conundrum who threatened to bust my eardrum.
4) Dekho baarish ho rahi hai (It’s Raining, It’s Raining, It’s Raining) – Try and get this song out of your head. Go on. I dare you. Now try to scrub the image of sad Anu “It’s Paining, It’s Paining, It’s Paining” Malik from your memory. Muahahah! Welcome to my inner world of pain.
5) Chuimui si tum lagti ho – THIS STUPID SONG! With these stupid people in it! They had posters of it! They were fashion icons! Whatever. Teenagers are dumb. And you know who you are!