… of eight things at least.
DesiGirl, who’s all posh and Frenchified now, tagged me a few days ago (alright more than a week ago! Sorry, babe) to list 8 things I’m proud of and suddenly my head was a complete blank. Who knew I was so humble? Not me.
I fidgeted. I scratched my head. I twisted like a worm on a hook. I was a butterfly pinned to a board, fluttering my wings feebly, feebly, feebly… I even learned how to hem and haw.
Thing is: any one of us might be “proud” but how many of us actually sit down and list the things that make us proud? Study the underpinnings of our ego?
It’s a more than slightly uncomfortable process because it requires introspection at a level and of a kind that we don’t usually indulge in. I’m a lot more inclined to sit around thinking of all the things I’ve done wrong and why I did them and perhaps how to (hopefully) avoid repeating those mistakes in the future.
Interestingly (to me anyway), when I sat down to make the list below, I found that the things that made me most proud were centered around other people. I guess I really am not an island.
1. I’m proud not to be an alcoholic junkie in spite of all the opportunities I’ve had to be one.
2. I’m glad I still make my parents proud. 20 plus years is a long time to keep that up, I think.
3. I’m proud I stuck out for my dream even if I feel a little guilty about it sometimes. Individualism is a lot harder to achieve than it looks but it’s better than lying on my deathbed wishing I could’ve been someone else.
4. I’m proud of my positive body image. I’m not anorexic or bulimic. Don’t want cosmetic surgery or “enhancements” of any kind, thank you. (Wait, does Lasik count? I want Lasik.)
5. I’m proud of the friends I’ve made – and maintained. You know who you are. Smooches!
6. I’m proud I’ve never been afraid to express an opinion… even if it means no man will ever marry me as one angry reader informed me a while back.
7. When I look back over the years I can see I’m not yet the person I want to be but I’m a lot closer today than I was a year or two or ten ago. A couple of steps to the side, and a couple of steps back, but on the whole the graph is definitely moving forward and upward. I’m proud of that.
8. And last, but definitely not the least, I’m proud you guys keep coming back. Long may your habits continue. 😀
Okay, so I’m supposed to tag another eight people and I was all jazzed to do it but I had a change of heart and I think I’ll leave this as an open tag. If you do decide to take it up, please leave me a link.